Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In the Interim














While I'm preparing a new main post, (concerning the tall, dark, handsome knight who inspired me begin writing historical fiction in the first place when I was all of fifteen) I'm dropping by to say that the HNS Conference went very well indeed and I'll be posting a transcript of the Beyond The Looking Glass session in a future blog not too far down the line I hope. I am also hoping to write a piece about Cartmel Priory which William Marshal founded on his return from the Holy Land. I've got the will and the information. Now all I need is the time!


Folks in the London area over the next couple of months might be interested to know that the Temple Church has an Effigies exhibition. Plaster casts of the Marshal effigies have been borrowed from the Victoria and Albert Museum. These were made in the 19thC before the incendiary bomb of WWII made a mess of William Marshal I's effigies. Now's a chance to see him with a nose! There are various sketches and documents from the archive displayed on the walls too.
If you are thinking about visiting the Temple Church to pay your respects, now might be a good opportunity. Url to more information here: http://www.temple2008.org/pgeEffigies.html

7 comments:

Daphne said...

ooh, I love tall, dark, handsome knights!

Gabriele Campbell said...

Who doesn'`t? :)

I'm going to visit Pembroke Castle (and a bunch of others, plus some Roman remains in Wales) in May - is there anything I should make sure not to miss?

Carla said...

Glad to hear the conference went well!
I think I know who the TDHK in question might be :-) Looking forward to your post!

Jody said...

Thanks for the info on the exhibit at Temple Church. I do have a question. I was at Chepstow Castle in Wales last fall and on wall in what was maybe the second addition to the castle there is a stone carving of a head that has been well preserved. Is that a carving of Wm Marshall? If not do you know who it is? I really loved that sense of history in the location and want to eventually return in the future. I felt a real connection to Wales.

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

Daphne, just wait for the next blog post. If you don't fall for this one, I'll eat my medieval shoes!
Carla, I suspect you'll know who it is. I have to say he has stood the test of time very well to say I was fifteen years old when last I saw him!

Gabrielle, now you've got me. My goldfish memory is trying to remember a couple of years back. Pembroke Castle has several displays. The Marshal one, if it's still there is somewhat strange and in need of a remake. There's an effigy of William Marshal that looks as if it's come straight out of an episode of Postman Pat - the hands anyway! When I was in Pembrokeshire, I loved Manorbier Castle, right on the coast. It's where the chronicler Gerald of Wales was born. It has a beautiful walled garden, a haunting atmosphere, and I was tickled to find that you can actually stay there self-catering if you want to afford the funds. It means that after the visitors have gone home for the day, you have the run of the place!

Jody, I don't remember that carving at Chepstow, so I can't help you out with that one - sorry. I love the fact that the doors at Chepstow were actually commissioned by William though. I feel as if that is a real connection. Re Medieval Wales, have you read Sharon Kay Penman's books about the region at this time. Here Be Dragons is one of my favourite novels.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Manorbier is on my list. Though I didn't know you can stay there or I'd have been tempted to try and meet some ghosts. :)

Well, let's hope I can get lots of pics of both places to share on my blog.

Anonymous said...

No Brasil a série chamou-se:"As Cruzadas".Havia uma trilha sonora memorável.O ator André Lawrence era muito simpático.Aqui também foi exibido um filme dele chamado "Os 7 de Tebas".