Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Still pursuing the Grail



Just dropping by with a note to say I'm still slogging away on my edits for Daughters of the Grail. I have cut 13,000 off the original novel, and I think it's in better shape for it. I've finished the first run through and have printed off a copy to read at my desk rather than at my PC. I find that a different set of editorial skills are brought into play this way. A friend who is trained in NLP, says that it's because a different part of the brain is brought into play, depending on where you look. So gazing across at a PC screen is different to looking down at words on a page. With my regular manuscripts, I also read the work aloud to myself, (well to husband while he's playing Age of Empires on our spare PC!) thus adding audio to visual. Anyway, I hope to have 'Daughters' done and dusted by early next week at the latest, and thus have a little more time to post to my blog.
In the meantime, here's a photo of a pair of my shoes. They're goatskin 'poulaines' and are replicas of late 14thC shoes. They're a bit late for my arena, but they're of museum quality and were made for an exhibition. They were going for a very reasonable price and were my size, so I just had to have them. Fellow re-enactors will understand! You will find the originals in Shoes And Pattens: Medieval Finds from Excavations in London by Francis Grew and Margrethe de Neergaard Museum of London publications ISBN 0 11 290443 2

3 comments:

Janie said...

Those shoes are gorgeous.

Good luck on the work.

KC said...

Even with the long toe area, they do look comfortable. Is that lamb's wool on the inside?

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

Hi Melinda and KC, thanks for dropping by :-)
Sorry not to answer for a few days but life got in the way.
Yes, the shoes are very comfortable and even though the fasteners just slide without buckles, they stay put. I don't know if it's lambskin or not. Definitely sheep of some kind though!